Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The big words and the best quotes from the debate

The best quotes from the candidates at tonight's first debate between the three candidates for governor of Kentucky, as compiled by Megan Ingros of the University of Kentucky School of Journalism and Telecommunications:

Democrat Jack Conway: "I have an opponent here, Mr. Bevin, who said that we ought to let the Road Fund go to zero and audit it."

Republican Matt Bevin: “So much of what comes out of your mouth, Jack, is literally made up. I have never once called for letting anything go to zero and auditing it. You literally make lies up on the fly.”

Conway, later: "He said what he said." (Conway and his campaign did not respond to email and telephone requests for documentation of his claim.)

Drew Curtis, independent: "I haven't talked to any coal companies because they don't invite me to any debates they don't announce. I don't know why, probably because I won't sell them laws."

Conway: Mr. Bevin is fond of going around asking, 'Who do you trust, who do you trust to be the next governor?' I don't think you trust someone who has had his own problem with tax issues and won't release his tax returns."

Bevin: "It's interesting that when Jack Conway tries to get you to focus, on things like, my tax returns, which are not required to be released. It is a distraction from that fact that he did not defend this state's constitution. It's a distraction from the fact that he doesn't support life, which two-thirds of Kentuckians do. It's a distraction from the fact that he refuses to enforce the requirement from the University of Louisville board among others, to be racially and politically balanced."

Curtis: “So, I’ll actually answer this question. … I’m not sure why anyone wants them, but I’m okay with releasing my tax returns.”

Curtis, on making the Capitol safer for women:  “I’m a firm believer in diversity, and I think I’m just going to leave it at that because I don’t feel like attacking anyone right now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment